Better Start for Children with a Disability
Better Start is an Australian Government initiative that aims to help make vital early intervention services and therapies more affordable and accessible.
Children who are fully affected by Fragile X syndrome can receive support under the Better Start program. Read Hunter and Lucy’s story below:
To be eligible to register for the Better Start early intervention funding a child must:
- be registered before the age of 6 years old
- be an Australian resident and
- have a confirmed diagnosis.
The initiative provides eligible children with access to:
- a registration and information service to provide families with information about Better Start and other appropriate services and support
- up to $12,000 (maximum of $6000) in any one financial year to pay for early intervention service delivered by members of the Better Start Early Intervention Services Panel
- An additional one off support payment for families living in outer-regional and remote areas to assist with the cost of accessing services; access to new Medicare items
- Website accessible information for parents, carers and professionals.
Currently the Association is lobbying for the Better Start program to include funding for children who have a premutation diagnosis but are significantly affected by the syndrome.
Carers Australia manages the Better Start program. For more information contact Carers Australia on 1800 242 636 or visit www.betterstart.net.au.